You are here
"I believe in a team-oriented approach involving the patient, family, and therapists in devising the best plan of treatment for each individual. My ultimate goal is to restore my patients to the highest possible level of work, play, or sport by providing compassionate care with a commitment to excellence."
Education and Training
- Fellowship: Primary Care Sports Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 2004-2005
- Residency: Pediatric, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, 1996-1999
- Medical School: University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV, Medical Doctorate, 1996
- Undergraduate: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV, Bachelor of Science, 1992
- Licensed by the Oregon State Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomat of the American Board of Pediatrics
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine
- Credentialed ImPACT Consultant
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Oregon Pediatric Society
- Oregon School Activities Association, Medical Aspects of Sports Committee Chair
- National Federation of State High School Associations, Sports Medicine Advisory Committee Chair
Hospital Staff Privileges
- Sacred Heart Medical Center, Eugene, OR
- McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center, Springfield, OR
- McKenzie Surgery Center, Eugene, OR
- Slocum Center for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine physician since 2006
Natives of the Pacific Northwest, my wife and I are happy to be back in Oregon to raise our three children. In my spare time, I enjoy running and learning the Korean language and culture. Additionally, I direct the Slocum Sports Concussion Program.
Concussions - What has changed for today's athlete?
Rotator Cuff Injuries and Repair
Dr. Michael Koester Featured on KEZI!
Dr. Michael Koester Discusses Concussions and The Slocum Foundation's Concussion Conference on KEZI!
The Slocum Research & Education Foundation to host educational concussion event
Dr. Koester Talked at a Local Concussion Seminar & Was Featured in The World
Local athletic trainer, Laura Baker of Henry D. Sheldon High School, named regional nominee for The Newell 2017 National Athletic Trainer of the Year Award
Laura Baker, certified athletic trainer at Henry D. Sheldon High School, was recently named the regional nominee for The Newell 2017 National...Read More
Dr. Koester: Parents have key role in reducing concussions
Slocum sports medicine doctor receives national Award of Merit
Slocum Doctors Are Angels in Adoption
Slocum Center for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is recognized with an Angel in Adoption award for their charitable donation to the Shinshicho...Read More
High School Football and Concussions
Did you know that helmets aren't designed to prevent concussions? They're designed to prevent skull fractures and bleeding. The way...Read More